Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Moving On Over is Getting CLOSER...

Well, realization of the dream has kicked in.  I was discussing something with my husband recently when I said "when we move to the farm next year"....wa wa wa wait WHAT did I just say???  We both just looked at each other.  NEXT YEAR - holy mackeral!?!  It can't be so - why YES  - we will be relocating to the old farm next summer!  I cannot believe how fast time is approaching.  This is a very exciting time for our family...and instead of getting stressed out about how we are going to make this happen - I am going to try and relax and let it all fall into place....bit by bit.

 


As you can imagine though, we are trying to get all of our ducks in a row.  We have a lot of prep work to do in the city to make this thing happen.  Ready or not - it's REALLY going to happen.

I haven't mentioned to very many "city" people (besides family and close friends) that we are planning to move to the country.  But strangely enough when I have mentioned it to some people I am met with a steely gaze and a question such as "why would you want to move to the country?" or "won't you get bored out there, there is so much more to do in the city?"

I guess it is understandable that people may think that country life is "boring," after all most city people have grown up with traffic, noise, rushing and long days in the office.  -- I'm definitely one of them --

In reality though, life does not have to be like that at all. I'm determined that there is so much more to life than working/commuting 12 hours a day then coming home to eat dinner, talk to family, and sit in front of the TV all night.

As I'm discovering almost every time I go out to the farm, country living brings benefits such as better health, beautiful scenery, a better lifestyle, lovely environments to bring up your children in and of course a drastic slow down of your life in general.  A place where you can set your own pace on a daily basis.

I do not plan on living without electricity, toilets or hot water but I do plan to be more self-sufficient by growing and preserving my own food (vegetables and fruits), raising chickens and other livestock, and beekeeping. I have many of these self-sufficient ideas in place and will continue to grow and expand these ideas.  I also would like to add fishing and hunting to my list of self-sufficiency ideas and know of a lot of people in my family that will guide me in this process.

Stay tuned - lots more to come.  Have a great day!






No comments: