Monday, January 21, 2013

Jump Start on my Seeds and Creating your Own TP Seed Starter Pots

I started my first batch of seeds today.  Is that exciting or what?  Where I live pepper and herb plants seem to take FOREVER to grow and need that extra time! 

I used my peat pots that I had leftover from last year and arranged them on a tray (shown below on the left).  Added some warm water to expand the peat pots.  The peat pots get about 1 1/2 - 2 inches high and then I planted one or two seeds in each pot (shown below on right).  Last year I planted too many seeds in each peat pot and had a LOT of thinning to do - so this year I carefully put 1 or 2 seeds in each peat pot.


To start, I planted 4 California wonder green peppers; 12 cayenne peppers; 4 plants of sweet banana peppers; 2 red sweet peppers; 3 orange sweet peppers; and 3 yellow sweet peppers. 

I was able to save some cayenne and sweet pepper seeds from last year - so I hope they will germinate ok.  The rest are heirloom seeds leftover from last year.

I also started some herbs - cilantro, sage, basil and parsley and fennel.

For the time being, I have a grow light on them just to heat up the greenhouse a little bit.  I will shut the lights off and let the magic happen.  Once they germinate I will put the lights back on.  Keep your fingers crossed that this works!




Is this considered upcycling or recycling - I say both.  See below.  Upcycling for seed starter pots and then recycling once planted in the ground.  :-)  Below is the start of my homemade empty toilet paper roll seed starter pots.  That was a mouthful!  I just cut the rolls in half and then made four 1/2 inch equally spaced slits on the bottom, overlapped the folds and folded them like a box to close the ends off.  I still need to purchase the dirt but I think these will work perfect for my tomatoes.

No comments: