Tuesday, November 20, 2012

FARMHOUSE STOVE WALL

This farmhouse kitchen is moving right along.  I am hopeful that it will be functioning before Thanksgiving!  Keep your fingers crossed for me please!  LOL - The stove is working so that's a definite PLUS!

Some explanation about this section of the kitchen.  The old stove had SO many disadvantages - including butting up against the wall on the left hand side.  As you can imagine, this was a major inconvenience and a real fire hazard!  If you were going to use those two burners you had to stay right there and babysit the stove - just to make sure you didn't catch the wall on fire!  Not sure why the kitchen was set up this way by my relatives (but I'm sure it was a cost saving issue or something) - but we have now corrected the hazardous flaw.  Anyway - the socket above the old burner on the old stove had to be replaced entirely due to grease build-up!  The old stove also did not allow me to use my large canner very easily and we won't be having any of that! This stove also at times takes 20-30 minutes to warm up the oven.  Can you say inefficient!

Anyway, to make this a more efficient functioning area - we decided to replace the stove.  The new stove has continuous grates and 5 burners.  We also decided to hang the microwave above the stove to get it off the countertops since we are so limited in counter space.  On either side of the cabinet we added beadboard and on the left side we will be adding a magnetic spice rack framed out in old barn board (recycling from the barn).  My plan is to build an additional spice rack out of pallets (see my upcycling idea post)....and that will be located on the left hand side for salt and pepper etc.  I'm still trying to figure out the right hand side of the microwave.  Do you have any ideas?  It's not a very big area - probably only about 6 inches.  I'm always up for fresh ideas!

So here's the before photo -


Below is the "in between" photos after the installation of the small cabinet with microwave range hood underneath:




And here's the final after photos - you should see me trying to get a good angle of this part of the kitchen. Hi Miss Maggie puppy - LOL.  I have a magnetic spice rack and a magnetic knife strip to install and some touch up work on paint and a some minor details that will finish it up later...but you get the gist.


Below is a sneak peak at my Martha Stewart chalkboard labels - I LOVE THEM!  Got these at Staples!


I hope you like the progress and now we are on to the sink wall...wish us luck!!!  Stay tuned for the sink wall!  While I'm stuck at work the hubby is out at the farm working hard on the kitchen remodel with my Uncle...WISH I WAS THERE!  Have a great day!

No comments: