Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Honey Bees are busy

So far so good with my beehive. Added the second level super recently for the bees honey. They should fill it up by winter and will live off the honey over winter. The bees had filled up about 80% of the first level. Now once they fill up this second level by 80% we will add a queen excluder and then our shallow honey super.

The bees are very active but are still eating the sugar syrup that I made...but I see them returning to the hive with their pollen sacks full! So I'm weaning them off the syrup.

I estimate there must be about 10,000 - 13,000 bees! WOW

2 comments:

Steve said...

Awesome Farmer Wife. I have been interested in bee keeping for sometime. I think one day I might have to give it a try. The ol farm sure looks good. You all have did alot with it.

Farmers Wife said...

Thanks Stevie - you should try bees - its interesting! It's kind of expensive - I might try to find some used hives on Craigslist in the Fall to expand my apiary. Let me know if you give it a try.