Friday, April 27, 2012

BEES!!

Welcome to my bees - we picked them up last night from the bee association president.

The Bee Master guy Ed was so nice - he picked up the Carnolian bees in Michigan. I guess when he arrived at the bee company, out of 201 cages 30 were already dead! I thought that was shocking but I guess it happens frequently. Ed thought it was due to the queens having died within the cage. The bee company replaced the cages with live bees and Ed was on his way transporting them back to Indiana.

Ed asked me if I ever installed bees before and I told him no. I told him I felt ready, I have read everything a couple times and watched many different styles of installation in YouTube. Ed looked at me a little doubtingly (LOL) and he gave me a personal tutorial on easy installation. I am so glad that he did that because he reinforced my type of installation as the perfect method! Ed is VERY knowledgeable and I think he has been doing this for about 70 years! It's all about installing the bees gently and the less traumatic method! Ed sent me on my way with a few marshmallows for the Queen and we headed home with the bees!!

So anyway I'm psyched - installation will happen later today out at the farm. I'm going to try my hand at adding video footage to my blog! So stay tuned!!

Here's the girls:

No comments: