Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Tomato Trellising

I think I'm going to try using the trellis method this year for my beefsteak tomato plants.  My plants always seem to outgrow the cages and get really unruly.  Instead of using the wire/twine method I'm sure you could use leftover fence panels too (which I have readily available).

I am hoping that this will be my solution!

How to Make a Tomato Plant Trellis
  1. Choose the beginning and end points of your trellis.
  2. Don’t forget to leave room on each side of your end tomato plants.
  3. Drive Pole A and Pole B into the ground until secure (no wobbling).
  4. Tie a wire or heavy twine from Pole A to Pole B.
    1. Note: twine stretches, you may have to re-tighten later.
  5. Add more wire/twine up the poles at one foot intervals.
  6. I usually go up five feet, making five wire rows.
  7. As tomatoes grow, attach larger stems to each available wire.
  8. Use a soft foam twist tie or wide garden tape.
    1. choose a tie that won’t cut into the vine as the plants and fruit add weight
  9. Sit back and wait for you bounty (that is after weeding and watering and…)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that this is a great idea. I think that it would be much easier to pick the ripe tomatoes from this support tool. Thanks for sharing!