Tuesday, March 6, 2012

HAPPENINGS AROUND THE FARM...

Well - there's a lot of "planning" going on around the farm ... but everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, seems to be pending due to the weather.  Today they are talking about "60" degree weather...but yesterday we had 2-3 inches of snow!

I am getting the gardener's itch...can't wait to till up the garden and get the soil ready for transplanting all of my tomatoes, peppers, luffas, cabbage, etc. etc.  Everything that I started in my two greenhouses seems to be holding their own.  The plants are getting bigger and stronger.  Everything should be very hardy by the time we are ready to plant them. Also, my expansion garden areas will be a lot of work but I'm sure that this will be totally worth it.  (Photos below are from last year's garden).


Next we are getting ready for the barn.  First step, DONE, we picked (and agreed on) a barn - that was no easy task to say the least.  It's nothing fancy - the barn will be 30 x 45 x 10.  Should have plenty of room for our vehicles and leave half for extra storage of yard tools etc.  Step two, obtain a builder's permit.  Step three, order the pole barn kit and that process takes 2-3 weeks.  So if the weather cooperates...we are looking at a start date of possibly May 1st.


I also need to prime and paint my beehive and get an area leveled and ready for my bees.  The bees should be arriving in April, I believe.  So that is really exciting...and that's all the buzzzzzz....LOL

And another thing that is happening around the farm, we are talking about adding some meat chickens. Jumbo Cornish X are the recommended chicken breed for this production.  However, I just learned that this type of chicken is a hybrid - and I'm not too keen on hybrids.  So I will do some more research today.  I think we are adding about 10-15 to begin with since we are newbies.




Well - that's about all the happenings off the top of my head this morning.  I hope everyone has a great day.


No comments: